5.12.2008

I've Been Tagged

I've been tagged with a meme. Brian, of Hell on Frisco Bay (my favorite local film blog) has selected me, along with four other bloggers to:

1) Pick up the nearest book.
2) Open to page 123.
3) Locate the fifth sentence.
4) Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing...
5) Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.


"Your leaders must know powerful magic."

"Yes," said one of the women. "The magic is called Marx, Stalin, Lenin, and Class Dialectics."

It didn't sound like very convincing magic to me.
Ghostwritten, David Mitchell


I don't think I'll pass along the meme to anyone else at the moment, because I've already seen this meme on most of the blogs I read. Brian, thanks for the tag! It was a fun exercise.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Glad you had fun with it. Would you recommend Ghostwritten? I peeked at a few blurbs from reviews, and Nicholas Blincoe's quote "Ghostwritten fails insofar as it resembles a 20th-century literary novel, but succeeds stunningly where it imagines a literature for the 21st century" intrigues me.

SisterRye said...

Yes, I'd recommend it highly. It does feel like a boundless kind of literature, though not as overtly experimental as lots of other POMO lit. It rambles forward, and makes sense without a hand-drawn map of characters. Its complexity lies in its surprising incarnation of international worldliness.

cgee said...

Well I don't have a blog but I'd like to play. Its a toss-up over which is the closest book at hand in this sad little Courtyard Marriot. We have THE HOLY BIBLE (kindly place here by the Gideons) and The English Major by Jim Harrison.

See if you can guess which is which.

BOOK ONE:

And Moses said, this is the thing which the Lord commanded that ye should do: and the glory of the Lord shall appear unto you.

And Moses said unto Aaron, Go unto the altar, and offer thy sin offering, and thy burnt offering, and make an atonement for thyself, and for the people: and offer the offering of the people, and make an atonement for them; as the Lord commanded.

Aaron therefor went unto the altar, and slew the calf of the sin offering, which was for himself

BOOK TWO:

Now with the mechanical cherry pickers the Mexicans are largely gone and I miss them.

When I was thirteen and picking cherries for money in July I saw a pretty Mexican girl emerging from a hedge row pulling up her trousers after takeing a pee.

I instantly became so full of desire on seeing her little triangle of black hair I came close to fainting.

SisterRye said...

Thanks for playing cgee. You've really stumped me! ;-)