"This Saturday, November 18, is officially Buy Local Day.
Spread the word and get out there and support stores like Rock Paper Scissors, Needles and Pens, and Afterglow this holiday season. RPS will be open 11am-7pm!
Big box stores like Wal-Mart are steamrolling their way into cities and towns throughout the country, pushing down wages and forcing small, local businesses to close because they can't compete with these mega-companies' predatory practices. But there's something we can do! On Saturday, November 18th, let's vote with our dollars in favor of locally owned, independent businesses and against the negative impacts of chain stores and big box stores on our communities! Why Buy Local?
- Local businesses produce more income, jobs, and tax receipts for local communities than big box stores do.
- Local businesses are more likely to utilize local ads, banks, and other services.
- Local businesses donate more money to nonprofits and are more accountable to their local communities.
- Supporting local businesses preserves the economic diversity of our communities and the unique character of our neighborhoods.
- Supporting local businesses is good for the environment because it cuts down on fuel consumption. Buying locally produced goods reduces the need to ship goods from thousands of miles away and also cuts down on the distances shoppers travel."
- [from the RPS newsletter]