10.27.2006

Kipp Interviews Rosenbaum




Jeremiah Kipp: "Jim Jarmusch’s Dead Man is one of those great American films that was largely rejected or ignored here in the States."

Jonathan Rosenbaum: "I think that had something to do with its extremely negative treatment of certain aspects of America, including racism, genocide and capitalism, which gives the film an incredible edge. The main discovery I made about the film, which I feel is the most important aspect of it, is that it is the only western that I can think of involving Native Americans and made by a white person who thinks of Native Americans as being members of the audience. Jarmusch even addresses specific things to them. I think that gives it a whole different quality from what you find in any other western."

(...)

Jonathan Rosenbaum: "My next book is a collection of my pieces on Orson Welles, which is coming out in spring 2007 and is called Discovering Orson Welles. The last piece is about his Don Quixote and in some ways it’s the most complicated of his unseen works because it is the one he worked on the longest."

[read the rest of "To Understand Movies You Have to Understand the World": An Interview with Film Critic Jonathan Rosenbaum]

No comments: