9.22.2006

No Rape, No Marriage, No Emergency Contraception



What it's like to be turned down for emergency contraception.

"A blogger recounts the unbelievable crap she was fed by her doctor, pharmacist and local hospitals when she tried to get emergency contraception after the condom broke. She has three kids and doesn't want a fourth, but no one would give her EC -- instead, they asked her nosy questions about her sex-life, told her she couldn't have "abortion pills" and eventually turned her away..."

"I sigh and thank him before hanging up. I know exactly what he was telling me. If I wasn't raped and wasn't married then too damn bad for me."

"Well see," he begins, his voice dropping a little, "the problem is that you have to meet the doctor’s criteria before he'll dispense it to you."

"Criteria?" I question.

"Well," the nurse sounds decidedly nervous as though what he really wanted to do was hang up the phone completely, "Yes, his criteria. I mean...ummm...well, are you ok? Is there any, ummm....trauma?" he asks me."

"My face changes expression and I hurry to explain, "No, no" I said, "No. I haven't been raped. This was consensual sex."

"Oh..." he trails off."

"I wait expectantly."

"Well, ummm....*clears throat*...So you haven't been raped?" he asks again."

"No. I have not been raped. The condom broke". I state, becoming very frustrated at this point and wondering what the hell is going on."

"Ok, well ummm....Are you married?" he mumbles the words so low I can barely hear them."

"Suddenly I get this image of the poor nurse standing at the hospital reading from a cue card that was given to him by a doctor."

[via Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing]

No comments: