9.13.2006

5 X 5 = 0 at Festivaletteratura



Paul Collins' weekend stubble takes time to grow in. I admire his pensive "resistance to issuing a personal canon."

Paul -- "Bizarrely, in the course of 10 interviews in a row on Wednesday alone -- a guaranteed way to lose your grip on reality, incidentally -- I was asked 5 times in succession: "Name 5 books that everyone should own." The first to throw this spanner into my gears was a TV crew from RAI 1, one of the national channels. My response: to stand stunned for a moment and then say, "Turn off the camera. I need a minute."

Eventually, I gave them this response: "Everybody should have five books that they haven't seen in anybody else's house."

I thought that was that, until the next interviewer asked the same question. And the next. And the next."

[via Ed, via Jenny D]

No comments: